Recreate fly patterns at home! Materials used in making this fly have been included below. Always keep in mind your local fly-fishing store will most likely have the materials referenced, and typically for less. Materials can also be found at Amazon or any other major on-line resource.
- Gamakatsu SC15 Hook (#1/0)
- Danville 210 Thread, Nylon, Flat Wax, Fluorescent Orange
- Eyes, Bead Chain, Medium, Black
- Craft Fur, Brown
- Sili Legs, Brown/ Gold Flake
- Legs, rubber, Orange (unidentified – found in a crafts store)
- Krystal Flash, Pearl
- Krystal Flash, Tan
- Krystal Flash Chenille, UV Pearl
- Krystal Flash Chenille, Tan
- EP Fibers, Sand
- Seaguar, Red Label, Fluorocarbon, 40#, Clear (weed guard)
Design Inspiration & Detail
This fly is a deviation and adaptation of a standard “Redfish Kwan”. Captain Jesse used some tying techniques from both crab flies and shrimp flies to create the fly shown above. Originally it was tied in chartreuse (hence the name Margarita) and purple – all of which have landed Jesse some amazing fish. The color combo in the photo is a custom color pattern requested by a recent client. Unfortunately Jesse doesn’t sell this particular pattern, however a list of materials can be referenced above to recreate them. For further info on Jesse and a look at more of his fly patterns, see Flies by Backwater Fly Fishing.
Target species would include Redfish, Snook, Tarpon, and many other saltwater species.