Tarantula Shrimp: Olive
Recreate these flies at home! Materials used in making this fly have been included below. Always keep in mind your local fly-fishing store will most likely have the materials referenced, and typically for less. Materials can also be found at Amazon or any other major on-line resource.
- Gamakatsu SC15 Hook (#1/0)
- Danville 210 Thread, Nylon, Flat Wax, Olive
- Eyes, Bead Chain, Medium, Black
- Extra Select Craft Fur, Sand (barred w Brown Sharpie)
- Arctic Fox Hair, Olive
- Sili Legs, Olive, Black Flake
- EP Tarantula Brush, 1.5″, Sculpin
- EP Foxy Brush, 1″, Root Beer
- Seaguar, Red Label, Fluorocarbon, 30#, Clear (weed guard)
Design Inspiration & Detail
This particular design was inspired by a mix of local patterns, all popular around the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River systems. Looks very natural, lands soft, and moves just right in the water. Perfect fly for sight fishing Redfish, Snook, or Gator (Sea) Trout. Most variations of the Tarantula Shrimp sell at $19.00 for three. For further info on Jesse and a look at more of his fly patterns, see Flies by Backwater Fly Fishing.
Target species would include Redfish and Sea Trout – Snook have fallen for this one too.