Bug’s Redfish Tickler: Orange & Tan
Recreate fly patterns at home! Materials used in making this fly have been included below. Always keep in mind your local fly-fishing store will most likely have the materials referenced, and typically for less. Materials can also be found at Amazon or any other major on-line resource.
- Gamakatsu SL12S hook, 1x Short (#1 or #2)
- UTC Ultra Thread 140, Nylon, Fluorescent Orange
- Hareline Painted Lead Eyes, Small (4 mm), Fluorescent Orange/ White/ Black
- Hareline Tiger Barred Rabbit Strips, Magnum, Black/ Orange Over Tan
- Chicone’s Crusher Legs, Standard, Fluorescent Orange Barred
- EP Tarantula Hairy Legs Brush, 1″, UV Tan
- Trik Fish, monofilament, 50#, Clear (weed guard)
- Sally Hansen Hard As Nails, Hardener, Clear (#2103)
Design Inspiration & Detail
Mack Bryson of Southeastern Flyworks was kind enough to send us this pattern. It’s a fly pattern that can be fished as a shrimp or crab, depending on the situation. Having adaptable flies really help in minimizing the amount of flies/ gear needed for a trip. Mack ties this fly is several colors. His purple/ black color combo works well when the sun goes down. Other options for the fly might include adding mono eyes, brass eyes, etc.
Most variations of Mack’s Bug’s Redfish Tickler sell for $7.00. For further info on Mack and a look at more of his fly patterns, see our post on Southeastern Flyworks.
Target species would include Redfish, Sea Trout, Snook, and more – Triple-Tail have also been caught with this pattern.