Rock Shrimp: Royal Blue
Recreate fly patterns at home! Materials used in making this fly have been included below. Always keep in mind your local fly-fishing store will most likely have the materials referenced, and typically for less. Materials can also be found at Amazon or any other major on-line resource.
- Mustad Hook 34007SS (#4)
- UTC Thread 210, Tan
- Bead Chain Eyes, Large, Black
- Krystal Flash, Royal Blue
- Krystal Flash, Black/ Pearl
- Rooster Cape, Grizzly Variant (for body and claws)
- Berkley Vanish, Fluorocarbon, 30#, Clear (weed guard)
- Sally Hansen Hard As Nails, Hardener, Clear (#2103)
Design Inspiration & Detail
This fly pattern is very simple to make. Technically one long rooster quill (in Grizzly, Cree, or Barred Dark Ginger) could make several flies. Add your desired color of Crystal Flash and your done! I tied in a few colors of flash above to show how different they can look. I added the Black/ Pearl Krystal Flash for antennae to further excite the fish. Add rubber legs if you like – the options are endless.
This particular fly was designed to attract Bonefish and Permit – many other species will also take the fly on a retrieve.