Blue Crab: Our Signature Merkin
Recreate fly patterns at home! Materials used in making this fly have been included below. Always keep in mind your local fly-fishing store will most likely have the materials referenced, and typically for less. Materials can also be found at Amazon or any other major on-line resource.
- Mustad 34007SS (#4)
- UTC 210, tan
- Brass Eyes, medium, gold
- Berkley Vanish 40 lb Fluorocarbon, clear, melted (dipped in Sally Hansen’s Black nail polish)
- EP Fiber, beige
- EP Fiber, eel green (across)
- Krystal Flash, royal blue
- Krystal Flash, black/ pearl
- Rooster Saddle, red
- Berkley Vanish 40 lb Fluorocarbon, clear (weed guard)
Design Inspiration & Detail
If you fish South Florida and the Keys, you can’t have too many pink/ blue Merkin crabs in the fly box. Blue Crabs are indigenous and plentiful along all coastlines. Any combination of a natural, pink, and blue in the shape of a crab will yield Bonefish and Permit. Have fun experimenting!
This particular fly was designed to attract Bonefish and Permit – Redfish and other species will also take the fly.